Celebrating 2018 is a huge part of preparing for the best year of our lives – we cannot move forward, heading for true JOY, if we don´t bow in gratitude towards everything we´ve lived.
This year brought the (physical) death of one of my best friends – Khaled Roshdy -, the growth and increasing success of Joana Saahirah´s Online Dance School; finding the Love of my Life; life in Morocco, then in Bali; a major earthquake with a terrifying tsunami threat in Lombok, dengue fever (my man), a fire, the birth and publishing of a new book; a resetting of life priorities and dreams.
I take the unpleasant as I take the pleasant: with open arms, ready to make the best of everything that comes my way. Meanwhile, I keep on dreaming and taking action upon those dreams – lazy bones have never been my thing.
As we draw 2018 to an end, I share a special video on Authentic Egyptian Dance and, ultimately, Life. I´m sure you´ll understand why.
Wishing YOU the brightest, most loving and abundant NEW YEAR!
Video: What is Egyptian Dance by Joana Saahirah of Cairo Text & dance pieces by Joana Saahirah Video edited by Khaled Roshdy
Last note (before the new year arrives) – something to take into 2019:
Whenever I prepare to launch a new year, I look back and focus on the things I´m most GRATEFUL for in the year that´s coming to an end. I see it as preparing the ground for new, better, more loving fruits.
If we start a new year with resentments, anger, and negative vibes, those are the seeds we´re planting in the upcoming days and months. Why would we plant rotten seeds in a ground that we hope will bear delicious fruits? That, as many other questions, is a part of our human idiosyncrasies (let´s face it:
we´re batshit crazy we don´t make sense, most of the time).
Instead of counting problems – or challenges, as I prefer to call them -, I count my blessings and I SUGGEST YOU DO THE SAME.
- Here´s a sample of my personal 2018 GRATITUDE LIST – I hope it inspires you to grab a paper and a pen and create your own.
- I´m grateful for my health and the health of my loved ones.
- I´m grateful for having found the Love of my Life, the man of my dreams; grateful for our love, our evolution; the blooming of our relationship.
- I´m grateful for the peace inside and around me.
- I´m grateful for the success and growth of Joana Saahirah´s Online Dance School, one of the most exciting things I´ve ever done professionally, and for the fact that it has educated and empowered many fabulous women from around the world.
- I´m grateful for the amazing trips I´ve made, the first I didn´t take exclusively for work – Morocco, Bali, Malaysia, East-Timor, Holland and more.
- I´m grateful for having a safe ceiling upon my head, food on the table, and people who love me and care for me at arm’s length.
- I´m grateful for the NEW DREAMS that were born and old ones which turned into reality.
- I´m grateful for my NEW BOOK – “Behind the Curtain” – which is about to come out.
- I´m grateful for the inspiration, the creativity, the faith, and the passion in my life.
- I´m grateful for having survived natural catastrophes, painful challenges, and tests.
- I´m grateful for the sky, the oxygen, and all the – visible and invisible – blessings that surround me on a daily basis.
- I´m grateful for my growth as an Artist and, mostly, as a Human Being.
- I´m grateful for BEING ALIVE.
Let the NEW YEAR & the MAGIC begin…
Getting ready for my birthday tomorrow, the 13th June, also the birthday of St. Anthony and Fernando Pessoa.
A day of peace, life changing decisions and gratitude is ahead. I´m already in awe for the amazing things this new sun cycle will bring. More growth – on every level -, health, love, success and dreams come true are on my horizon.
Thanks to all the friends, lovers, family members, colleagues, students, audiences, organizers and random (kind) strangers who add joy and beauty to my already blessed life.
My cup runneth over a million times over.
Love you all.
Art by Dr. Wassma Al Agha.
I live in the now.
Nostalgy, looking back and whining about how things were is not my style. I believe the best moment is always NOW. But, every once in a while, it´s good to gather our bearings and feel gratitude for the abundance that lays before us.
This time around, Facebook did the job. The album of life it provided shows a very small part of the last few years of my life but, oh boy!, such a delicious one. When I look at each of the selected photos I can´t stop smiling. The words THANK YOU started to pour from my mouth on automatic mode.
Enjoy the ride, from left up till down right:
- The first photo was taken during a show in Spain where I performed and taught.
- The second photo was taken by Yara, a dear student, dancer and my sponsor in Savannah, Georgia, USA where I performed, lectured and taught.
- The third photo shows me with Sweetie, one of my angels. Pure love.
- The fourth photo was taken by my mum, in Portugal, in her garden after coming from a television interview (the make-up artist was superb)
- The fifth photo was taken during a show in Thessaloniki, Greece where I performed and taught.
- The sixth photo was taken in Spain where I performed and taught.
- The seventh photo was taken in Venice, Italy, after teaching in the mountains of Slovenia (yes, life can be really and I mean really wonderful).
- The eighth photo was taken in Oxford, England, while I was studying there. English Literature and Creative writing at Christ Church college, one of the happiest experiences of my life.
- The last two photos were taken during a rare vacation week in Portugal with loved ones. One of my ex-boyfriends had come from Egypt to visit me, I had the whole family and my best friend with me. Life was (is) perfect.
Gratitude mode is not an option anymore. It´s an obvious must.
It´s easy to lose perspective – what´s important in the middle of the chaos; which reasons do we have to feel grateful for?
I often wonder why it´s easier to complain about what´s missing in us and in our lives than saying Thank You for what we are and have at each moment. Why do we tend to look at our neighbor´s garden instead of appreciating ours?
But I don´t limit myself to wondering – I consciously contradict these tendencies and reeducate myself, on a daily basis, to replace the feeling of default by GRATITUDE. It´s not easy and it takes a considerable amount of discipline but it´s worth it.
If there´s a luggage I wish to take with me into 2016, this is it: