- My NEW book – “Behind the Curtain” – is out and I want to share it with you.
- Get into the NEW CONTEST I´m launching and WIN one “Behind the Curtain” autographed copy & 1-hour private online class with me!
- Here´s what you´ve gotta do in order to enter the contest: share the link of the book (this one: http://www.lulu.com/shop/joana-saahirah-and-breda-jure%C4%8Dko/behind-the-curtain/paperback/product-23997213.html?fbclid=IwAR2Cc357PwRQ2PF0HTamSqYPQMU1QZ8vW9kO3m-VE7q5AhvaqH-Xsr8nTQg) in your Facebook or Instagram account with a comment on WHY YOU BELIEVE EGYPTIAN DANCE IS MAGICAL and tag me in that post. Also, send me your comment and social media share link via email (to email@example.com)
- The best 3 entries will win an autographed copy of “Behind the Curtain” and 1 hour of online private class with me.
- Entries are accepted only until the 12th March. The winners will be announced on the 14th March.
- Good luck!
Joana Saahirah presents her NEW book “Behind the Curtain”, a collaboration with the Slovenian Photographer, Breda Jurecko.
What lies behind a stage curtain?
What happens inside an Oriental Dancer, the eternal damned “odalisque”, beyond appearances? What does it mean to be a passionate Creator, a Woman who´s not afraid to be her full – untamed – self? This and other questions are answered in this book, a collaboration between Joana Saahirah, a world-known Oriental Dancer, and Breda Jurečko, a photographer with a very special perspective. When these two women met in Slovenia, before a show with Mazzikatea orchestra, the idea of an (unexpected) book was born to bring the hidden, perhaps most interesting, side of an Oriental Dancer´s life, to the light.
*Follow the link to order your copy of “Behind the Curtain”: http://www.lulu.com/shop/joana-saahirah-and-breda-jure%C4%8Dko/behind-the-curtain/paperback/product-23997213.html?fbclid=IwAR1lkhodZTrVEIbvmE88EDT46ASaTHfYmI8ypfIVhChsHqyZAWVUxuciNxs
This is so exciting!
My interview with Leslie Zehr, the creator of The Sacred Dance Summit, is here, fully recorded, for your enjoyment.
We talked about Mysteries, Self-Empowerment, and other essential aspects of Egyptian Dance nobody ever bothers to mention.
Watch, like, share and enjoy the FREE EBOOK – Egyptian Dance Wonderland – offered with the Summit:
Follow the link to watch the interview:
About this interview´s guest (that would be me;) ):
*Joana is a world-renowned dancer, teacher, and choreographer specialized in Egyptian Oriental and Folkloric Dances, actress and author of the book The Secrets of Egypt – Dance, Life & Beyond. After almost a decade of life and career in Egypt with her own orchestra—rescuing the ORIGINS and ESSENCE of Egyptian Dance, Joana has created a style (of teaching, choreographing, and performing) that UNITES EAST and WEST; Healing and Art; MIND, HEART, BODY, and SOUL. For the last 5 years, Joana has been a constant presence—as an invited artist, choreographer & teacher—at major International Oriental Dance Festivals. She´s also the founder of Joana Saahirah´s Online Dance School, a pioneering school with authentic Egyptian Dance, Self-Discovery & Empowerment. The summit is finished but there will be another one in May 2019.
*Register now to receive updates and announcements! Sacred Dance Summit Registration Page: https://mailchi.mp/14581eda8d5c/sacre…
What makes a great dancer? And, what is more important, what makes a great life?
The answer to those questions is relative, as are the answers to most subjects, but I believe we can agree on some basic traits:
- Living and dancing from our hearts, allowing the music and life to be taken, processed, filtered, and expressed through the heart – that is for sure one essential quality for great dancing and living.
- Cultivating openness/vulnerability . Not hiding, not masking our true selves, daring to be fully Human.
- Educating ourselves; preparation, actually showing up to do our work – may that be working in a dance piece, in a relationship, in a dream we wish to accomplish – are also essential.
- The willingness to learn, try, fall and rise up again; making mistakes and correcting them; the strength and the humbleness to evolve. Those, too, are inescapable traits for great dancing and living.
I could mention other qualities but, right now, PASSION is the one I want to call your attention to.
A DANCER without PASSION is no dancer at all. A LIFE lived without PASSION is no life at all.
Rest assured: we´re all different.
I, for instance, have been accused of being “too intense”, too passionate, too emotional, too rational, too much, too alive. It seems I think too much, feel too much, love too deep; according to popular belief, I feel too much pleasure, too much passion, too much excitement; if I believe, and I don´t, the concept most people make of me, I´m bound to conclude I´m a case of excessive passion. By now, flames are no doubt pouring from my ears. I´m a bad case of “my cup runneth over”. Or so they say.
Note: there´s no such thing as “excessive passion”. You cannot order a flame to shine a little less brightly. It shines as freely and intensely as it wishes or it doesn´t. Period.
I have no idea what it means to be too alive; you´re either alive or dead, but that´s just me, my weird-freak-over the top me.
I know characters aren´t the same. Some of us are cooler, colder, calmer, less interested, less excited, less “on fire” than others. We´re aware of that. My point is we all need SOMETHING that lights our hearts on fire, SOMETHING that makes us want to jump off our beds in the morning, a MEANING or PURPOSE to our lives.
Great dancing, as great living, cannot exist without PASSION, whatever your passion, or passions, may be.
Great dancing, as great living, cannot exist without a PURPOSE that calls your soul into action, whatever your purpose may be.
Instead of focusing on other people´s PASSION, their FIRE, the thing, or things, that makes them move ahead and higher, I ask you to look within and ask yourself: what makes me feel the most ALIVE?
This new year has found me with both feet firmly on the ground and a growing pair of wings that´ll allow me to take off.
Once more, I redefine my concept of Happiness and the Priorities I must focus on, in case I wish to continue growing (I do).
Turning dreams into reality isn´t always cool, pleasant, or beautiful – sometimes, work is hard; we have to dive deep into boring, challenging tasks; we gotta bump with our head against the wall in order to see the fruits of the seeds we´ve planted. More often than not, the tip of the iceberg is just a tiny sample of the enormous amount of work that preceded it, work which the public never gets to see.
Here are some of the (exciting) NEWS I´m sharing with YOU, this month, both a product of the work that remains hiding beneath the water:
- My NEW book – “Behind the Curtain” -, a collaboration with a talented Slovenian photographer – Breda Jurecko – is coming out.
- A NEW, renewed, Joana Saahirah Online Dance School, is arriving with brand new, pioneering, online courses. The same Vision and Purpose – to share authentic Egyptian Dance, Self-Discovery & Empowerment with the whole world – with an upgraded platform that will serve our community better.
Flying into 2019 with the Passion and the Love I´ve always carried in my heart, a renewed sense of purpose and hope.
Here´s what they rarely tell us: evolution takes work; growth can be painful; letting go of limiting beliefs, wounds, old ghosts can be a never-ending battle but, YES, we can do it. If we genuinely want to.
I´ve never sat in my comfort zone – whenever I reach the top of one mountain, I start looking for a new mountain to climb. It´s the climbing, not the arrival, that builds our character.
From Portugal, my homeland where I was safe and comfortable, to Egypt where I spent 8 years building my career and myself in the midst of unimaginable challenges and blessings; from Egypt to the whole World where I´ve been traveling as an invited artist to perform, teach, and lecture on Egyptian Dance, Music, and Culture; from the World to wherever I dream.
Along the way, I´ve written an endless amount of articles for highly respected maganizes and newspapers; I´ve written and published my first book – The Secrets of Egypt – Dance, Life & Beyond” (follow link to get your own copy: http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www.lulu.com/shop/joana-saahirah/the-secrets-of-egypt-dance-life-beyond-2nd-edition/paperback/product-23143198.html?fbclid=IwAR2Jfl0G_J0QIVEQzejQdSkQ8PzO7v0GkKDNpIOy0-V7VjOmA36OzSVmFlA ); I´ve created a pioneering school – Joana Saahirah´s Online Dance School -, I´m about to publish my second book – Behind the Curtain – and I´m already working on my third book. A brand new, upgraded, platform for Joana Saahirah´s Online Dance School will soon be released. Stay tuned at this blog or ask to join our dance community via email (send email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is is just a little sample of how much I´ve lived, dreamed and materialized and how much I´m doing in the present. I hope it inspires you to turn your Wish List* into a Dreams Accomplished List.
Hint: I have no intention to stop growing and making IT happen.
In 2019, more than in any other year, I thrive for new mountains – the most unexplored, frightening, amazing mountains; the ones that will ultimately bring me closer to my truest self. I hope YOU´re brave enough to do the same.
Happy climbing, my friends!
In this video: Joana Saahirah BOMBASTIC Majance Performance in Quebec, Canada. Quebec was one of the cities included in Joana Saahirah´s USA & CANADA SOULful Tour.
Celebrating 2018 is a huge part of preparing for the best year of our lives – we cannot move forward, heading for true JOY, if we don´t bow in gratitude towards everything we´ve lived.
This year brought the (physical) death of one of my best friends – Khaled Roshdy -, the growth and increasing success of Joana Saahirah´s Online Dance School; finding the Love of my Life; life in Morocco, then in Bali; a major earthquake with a terrifying tsunami threat in Lombok, dengue fever (my man), a fire, the birth and publishing of a new book; a resetting of life priorities and dreams.
I take the unpleasant as I take the pleasant: with open arms, ready to make the best of everything that comes my way. Meanwhile, I keep on dreaming and taking action upon those dreams – lazy bones have never been my thing.
As we draw 2018 to an end, I share a special video on Authentic Egyptian Dance and, ultimately, Life. I´m sure you´ll understand why.
Wishing YOU the brightest, most loving and abundant NEW YEAR!
Video: What is Egyptian Dance by Joana Saahirah of Cairo Text & dance pieces by Joana Saahirah Video edited by Khaled Roshdy
Last note (before the new year arrives) – something to take into 2019:
Whenever I prepare to launch a new year, I look back and focus on the things I´m most GRATEFUL for in the year that´s coming to an end. I see it as preparing the ground for new, better, more loving fruits.
If we start a new year with resentments, anger, and negative vibes, those are the seeds we´re planting in the upcoming days and months. Why would we plant rotten seeds in a ground that we hope will bear delicious fruits? That, as many other questions, is a part of our human idiosyncrasies (let´s face it:
we´re batshit crazy we don´t make sense, most of the time).
Instead of counting problems – or challenges, as I prefer to call them -, I count my blessings and I SUGGEST YOU DO THE SAME.
- Here´s a sample of my personal 2018 GRATITUDE LIST – I hope it inspires you to grab a paper and a pen and create your own.
- I´m grateful for my health and the health of my loved ones.
- I´m grateful for having found the Love of my Life, the man of my dreams; grateful for our love, our evolution; the blooming of our relationship.
- I´m grateful for the peace inside and around me.
- I´m grateful for the success and growth of Joana Saahirah´s Online Dance School, one of the most exciting things I´ve ever done professionally, and for the fact that it has educated and empowered many fabulous women from around the world.
- I´m grateful for the amazing trips I´ve made, the first I didn´t take exclusively for work – Morocco, Bali, Malaysia, East-Timor, Holland and more.
- I´m grateful for having a safe ceiling upon my head, food on the table, and people who love me and care for me at arm’s length.
- I´m grateful for the NEW DREAMS that were born and old ones which turned into reality.
- I´m grateful for my NEW BOOK – “Behind the Curtain” – which is about to come out.
- I´m grateful for the inspiration, the creativity, the faith, and the passion in my life.
- I´m grateful for having survived natural catastrophes, painful challenges, and tests.
- I´m grateful for the sky, the oxygen, and all the – visible and invisible – blessings that surround me on a daily basis.
- I´m grateful for my growth as an Artist and, mostly, as a Human Being.
- I´m grateful for BEING ALIVE.
Let the NEW YEAR & the MAGIC begin…