- The Blue Hotel (public library) by Stephen Crane
- The Open Boat (public library) by Stephen Crane
- Madame Bovary (free ebook | public library) byGustave Flaubert
- Dubliners (public library) by James Joyce
- The Red and the Black (public library) byStendhal
- Of Human Bondage (free ebook | public library) by W. Somerset Maugham
- Anna Karenina (free ebook | public library) byLeo Tolstoy
- War and Peace (free ebook | public library) byLeo Tolstoy
- Buddenbrooks (public library) by Thomas Mann
- Hail and Farewell (public library) by George Moore
- The Brothers Karamazov (public library) byFyodor Dostoyevsky
- The Oxford Book of English Verse (public library)
- The Enormous Room (public library) by E.E. Cummings
- Wuthering Heights (free ebook | public library) by Emily Brontë
- Far Away and Long Ago (free ebook | public library) by W.H. Hudson
- The American (free ebook | public library) by Henry James
List taken from my favourite website (Brain Pickings): https://www.brainpickings.org/
What you´ve just read is a MUST READ list from Ernest Hemingway. He adds Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as the book that “marks the beginning of American literature”. This is all I can say: I´m screwed. So deeply, so deliciously.
The piles of books at my home grow at a frightening pace. I´m a busy person, why would I keep buying books I obviously have no time to read? As if their presence, and their presence alone, would educate me and inspire me by osmose. Does it?
Some women go wild over shoes, I go wild over books (and Jude Law and Free People cloths but those are another stories). Where will I get the time to read all these gems? Then comes a devilish fact: each book you read leads you to another book which you didn´t have in mind and you feel you MUST READ. I´m sure I´m not alone in my anguish. Somewhere, out there, there are equally weird book lovers who get me.
It´s an addiction, like any other: the smell of a book – I always take that deep breath into the pages – ; the touch of different kinds of paper; the inspirations, the continuous learning, the awe at the talent of certain writers. Oh, man…can anybody save me from compulsive growth? Would I want to be saved?
It´s hard being an alien.